Friday, April 15, 2016

All Natural Flea Collars

As many of us move toward a more healthy lifestyle, we also like taking our pets there too. I mean, if you wouldn't put toxic chemicals on your body, why would you put them on your beloved pet? Years ago I had several different recipes (all in storage in Alabama) saved in a recipe book but I recently re-bought (yes, now I have two copies) Valerie's book of essential oils and aromatherapy and found a great recipe for all natural flea collars. I'll be honest, this one isn't my favorite since my favorite one has eucalyptus but I trust Valerie's knowledge and expertise so I'm sharing this one. 

They are really easy to make and last about a month but aside from smelling good they are a healthy alternative for your pet. Just buy a cloth collar (like the one on Athena below) and you'll soak in your mixture. 




So here's the recipe: 

1/2 teaspoon alcohol
1 drop of Cedarwood
1 drop of Lavender
1 drop Citronella
1 drop of Thyme

Make this mixture first. 

Next make the following: 
1 teaspoon vegetable oil (I personally would use almond oil) and 1 drop of garlic EO. If you can't locate garlic EO you can substitute 4 garlic capsules (you will break them open to use) only, meaning you won't use oil. 

Blend the first mixture with second mixture and saturate the collar. Allow the collar to dry (this usually takes overnight), put on your pet and they are good to go for a month!  

Here's the thing with the garlic, fleas hate garlic so if it is absorbed into your pet, they won't be doing any biting. You can also add garlic capsules to your pet's diet, if they will tolerate it. 

Be well, 
--Kim

Acknowledgement: 

Worwood, V. The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy