Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Spiders and Creepy Crawlies!

I have a theme going with my blog posts...spring! Spring is the time that we open our windows, take off our shoes and enjoy the warmer weather. However, the bugs like the warmer weather too and they will come into our houses uninvited. My niece was just talking about how toxic bug sprays are and so I decided to write a blog entry that focuses on getting rid of those pesky little critters particularly since I've been dealing with flies that love to come in through my open patio door (I don't have a screen because it opens outside instead of inside). Anyway, I have a few suggestions, recipes and recommendations on how to keep those pesky creepers away using all natural products and of course, essential oils! 

 The first creeper I'm going to address is spiders. Spiders hate peppermint so you could grow some peppermint in containers (keep any mint in a container or it will take over your garden space), which can help deter the spiders. If you are finding them spinning their webs in your house, use a very easy spray solution instead of toxic bug spray. In a spray bottle (you can pick these up so cheap at the dollar store) mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar, 1 1/2 cups of water and 20 drops of peppermint essential oil. While peppermint EO smells good, if you are spraying it, it might be a little overwhelming so you can also add 10 drops of eucalyptus. Now, I know this will work on spiders but I'm not sure about other creepers like roaches. You can also spray this solution on cotton balls and place strategically in window sills, in corners on your counters and other out of the way places. However, the coolest thing is, you can spray this on your floor and it isn't going to harm you or your pet, only keep those pesky bugs away including ants! 

There is another really cool thing that I learned as well...you can hang cotton strips or even paper towel strips in windows to help deter bugs. Just blend the oils together and sprinkle a drop or two of the following mixtures. You can get really creative and make pretty ribbons...it really is up to you. Anyway, here are a couple of recipes: 

10 drops of Citronella
3 drops of Peppermint (yes, this is one of my favorites) 

5 drops of Lavender
5 drops of Citronella

According to Valerie Worwood, the following oils are ones that creepers dislike: 

  • Lavender
  • Citronella
  • Peppermint
  • Lemongrass
  • Cinnamon
  • Thyme
  • Basil
So, you can try different mixtures of the above to achieve the elimination of bugs, naturally! 

Be Well, 
--Kim